Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

The 'Hobby' : People Watching :D

Hey everyone! I think everyone has some sort of hobby, one or the other. It can be knitting and crocheting for some; reading, writing and a passion for music for others; and some of us, I have no doubt, like to relax in that comfortable, soft couch while watching our favourite TV show with a bowl of popcorn by our side. Not that that is a real hobby :) , but moving on. Anyway, I think you get what I'm trying to say. There are things, that we, as humans, enjoy doing. 

Lately, one of those things appear to be people-watching. I guess the whole thing sounds weird at first. (The name gave me a creepy impression of stalking. I don't know why.) But it looks like some of us spend the time you wait for a bus, or a couple of minutes at lunch to observe people and try to infer things about them and their personalities. After a bit of pondering, I found it quite fascinating. To know a little (however little) about someone just by reading the way they move their hands, or the way they walk - well, it's remarkable. And if any of you all out there want to be an author (like me :D), people watching can give you tons of inspiration. You'd be surprised on how many plots come up in your head once you do a bit of people watching. Oh, and by the way, you don't have to eavesdrop. That's not a necessary part of people watching. 

The idea is that you observe people and their interactions within a crowd.  It's best if it's crowded simply because the main aspect of people watching is that they don't know you're watching them. If they did, they wouldn't act natural. I don't know about you, but if someone tried to 'people watch' me in a place with only a couple of others there, I'd notice pretty fast. And I'd get very uncomfortable. :) And that's why the key is to not let them know you're observing them. It all has to be very inconspicuous.

You don't have to be a writer to people watch. You can do it just to pass time or for a bit of fun when you've got a few spare minutes. You can do it to get a first impression of someone you're going to meet for the first time. It's really just something some of us do.

So the next time you're waiting for your bus, or you're at the mall and you have nothing to do, try a little bit of people watching and see how it is! Cast your eyes around and maybe you'll find another people watcher! :) 

As always, read, enjoy, and comment! Put down your thoughts in the comments section below - are you a people watcher? If not, will you try it? Do let me know how the blog is doing, and if there is anything you would like me to write about! 

Catch you later!
Spencer :)


No comments:

Post a Comment