Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Characters: Why Do They Have To Have A Mind Of Their Own?

Hello everyone! In this post I'm returning to what I started this blog with - books! Also, it might be longer than most other posts. Now, instead of the point of view of a reader, I'm writing this in the writer's point of view and everything it takes to be one.

So, the top three things anyone asks me when I announce I'm working on a book:
  1. What's it about? Who are your characters?
  2. Sounds cool. Can I be in it?
  3. Where do you get all these ideas?
What I say to those questions:
  1. Okay. [insert a brief plot] I haven't developed all my characters, but [insert what I do know about them]
  2. I'll think about it, yeah.
  3. They just come to me. So, I don't actually know.
What I actually feel like:

No...just. No. Why?! Why me?!
  1. I'm sorry to tell you that it's extremely confidential. [walk away in silence]
  2. Sure, if you're sure you don't mind that I might have to kill your character off sometime in the future.
  3. Exactly from where you get all your questions.
There's nothing actually wrong with these questions itself, but you see, writers can only answer to these questions so many times. After that, it just gets downright monotonous. And exasperating. You just want to run away from there. 

Okay...now coming to what I really started writing about before I got distracted. Characters. When you write a book, dear readers, you are making up this beautiful little story that's going to feature the most ideal people in it. So you've got to give a lot of thought to your characters, right? To their personality and interests and generally everything about them? Wrong. Completely absolutely wrong. You won't believe it, I'm sure. in fact, I'm most of you are quite surprised.


Even a cat doesn't believe it.

The thing is, we writers (at least most of us) don't need to think about characters that much. They evolve by themselves, to be honest. They have minds of their own. And that's really a hurdle sometimes, because when the writer wants to take the story in one direction, the characters just come in and say, "No. I'm doing what I want and you're gonna let me do it. You are just gonna keep quiet and sit in that corner over there, writing down everything that I'm gonna do."

Once you give them an outline, they develop their own personalities. It's like they know what they have to do. It feels as if they're alive, and normal people, like you and me. They can control what happens in a story. Many writers I've met have called it a gut-feeling, but we all know what it is. It's the characters that have taken over their story. It's actually pretty normal. You should be worried if your story is going exactly the way you wanted it. You're missing out on some serious twists and turns that could help your plot a lot.

 I'm sure all of us have seen a movie, right? Well, it's exactly that - watching a movie in your head. Only, you were about to direct it, but some others have taken over. The point is, it doesn't matter if we try to think of the perfect character or not, because he/she probably won't end that way. They have a sense of what's the right course to take and how to make a twisted, dark, complicated story even more twisted, dark and complicated. If that even makes sense. :D

What's even more surprising? Characters can give you answers. Since they're so perfect, and know exactly what to do at all times, they're the best advisers. Put your character in a situation that's similar to yours, and watch them act. You'll then know exactly what to do. They react so amazingly. Really. And if you happen to be a non-writer, believe me, try your hand at this. It won't be too hard, I promise. (Because you see,  you think of a character and give it a basic outline. It'll do the rest by itself.) :D

Alright then, time to end this post, or I'll end up going on forever. As always, read, enjoy and don't you forget to comment in the section below! Don't hesitate! Let me know what you think and you'll make my day!


P.S. I've discovered GIFs. Officially. And I can't seem to get enough of them. What do you think about that?


Catch you later!
Spencer :)




No comments:

Post a Comment