Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

The World In A Page: Languages

Bonjour and Hello! Oh dear, I guess I let a little French slip out - it happens every now and then (especially since I took French in school) but what I wanted to say was -  it's never really occurred to me before that people out there speak in so many different ways. Now I'm not talking about the accents, nor am I talking about the articulation - but the different languages. I find languages quite interesting. All of them are so beautiful, don't you think? They all go...together, in a way. They can enchant you and enrapture you without you ever knowing what the meaning is.

You know, I really don't know why, but lately I've been having this urge to learn Spanish. So one bright morning, when I had nothing else to do, I surfed the net on basic Spanish. Then it struck me - why don't I compile a list of simple phrases in languages from around the world - and what else but post it on the blog? :) So the next time you visit France or Hawaii, (hopefully we all get to vacation there once :D) just brush up on your language skills over here! 

French
Hello: Salut! or Bonjour!
Goodbye: Au revoir!
Thank you: Merci!
You're welcome: De rien! or Je vous en prie.

Spanish
Hello: Hola!
Goodbye: Adios!
Thank you: Gracias!
You're welcome: De nada.

Chinese
Hello: Ni hao.
Goodbye: Zaijian.
Thank you: Xie xie
You're welcome: bú yòng xiè. (Literally: Don't need to thank me.)

Malay
Hello: Hello! or Selamat pagi (for Good morning.)
Goodbye: Selamat tinggal (if you are leaving.) Selamat jalan (if you are staying.)
Thank you: Terima kasih.
You're welcome: Sama-sama.

Hawaiian
Hello: Aloha.
Goodbye: Aloha. (This is why I find languages interesting.)
Thank you: Mahalo.
You're welcome: He mea iki. (There are many other ways - but I found this as the most common on the internet.)

So, what do you think? I don't know any of these languages myself, by the way (except for French), and so I got all of this off the internet. All I did was compile. But I guess I learned something new along the way too! I'm going to have a blast trying to pronounce all these words! I hope you try to do that too - it's never too early or late to learn! And who knows, you might end up having a lot of fun!

So, as always, read, enjoy and don't forget to comment below! Let me know about anything you might have to share - I'm always ready to see what all of you think!


Catch you later!
Spencer :)



No comments:

Post a Comment